How to cope with depression?
We all know that depression is detrimental to our health. If it’s not dealt with right away can lead to more health issues physically, mentally and emotionally. I have dealt with severe depressions in the past, and I thank God that I am finally at the point in my life now that I am more proactive in dealing with it before it hit me. I will share a few tips of how I overcome depression.
- Pray. Prayer is such a powerful way to get your mind off from the bad thoughts as a result of depression. Talking to God and unburden yourself from the heaviness in your heart and mind really helps a lot. Knowing God who will always be with you no matter what happens is very comforting and helps you have a positive perspective in life. Being grateful through prayer makes you refocused on what are the important things in life. Start your day in prayer and end your day with prayer. You’ll be surprised of how God will help you get through the day and help you cope your depression.
- Soak in a nice sunshine. Get out of the house on a sunny day and soak some sunshine even for just a few minutes everyday will help your mood and take in a natural vitamin D. Studies have shown that vitamin D deficiency is link to depression. So take an action and help yourself with all natural vitamin D from the sunshine and feel better.
- Eat healthy food. Eating a lot of vegetables and fruit low on sugar diet will increase your energy and help your mood as well. I used to eat high carbs and sugary food and drinks, and I realized that was a huge culprit to my depressions. I could understand why with much food I ate I should have all the energy I needed, but it wasn’t so. Because ninety nine percent of the food I ate was high carbohydrates and sugar and it was actually pulling me down to depression. Thank God I realized it soon enough to make changes and coped my depression by making changes to my diet. What a difference on how I feel now.
- Exercise. Yes exercise can really help boost your energy and releases those bad toxins from your body by sweating it out. It’s hard to just start a routine of exercise, but you can start with an exercise that gives you motivation, something that is fun and groovy. What I meant is you can start with something that will not only keep you moving but fun to do also. There are a lot of workout videos on YouTube you can watch and let motivate you start making some progress. You may not want to do regular exercise, what about walking, dancing, or do zumba. Friends these are just a few suggestions, but you are absolutely in your power to get up and do something to cope your depression. I can’t do it for you, you have to do it yourself and pick yourself up from that nasty depression.
- Last but not the least is sleep. Yes a good night’s sleep is a must to have to be able to cope your depression. Put away the gadgets at certain time to get your good night’s sleep. It’s easy to just keep staring on the screen and checking social media status and whatever else you are doing. But it is one of the most important thing you can do to yourself is to sleep well during the night for at least a good 6-7 hours sleep. You will be doing a great favor and love to yourself when you apply this suggestions. Your body needs time to reset, literally the organs in our bodies reset itself while we sleep. So don’t neglect sleep as this will help you cope your depression as well. If you have trouble sleeping, I recommend you listen to a relaxing music, like soft jazz or nature sounds of rain or ocean waves. This will help you calm your mind and next thing you know you will be doozing off to sleep. I can tell you that it even helps me when I am having headaches. So try it friends, it may not work for you, but it won’t hurt to try. You will thank yourself only if you pick yourself up and do what could help you.
Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, and not offering cure. I am only sharing my experience and how these tips have helped me cope my own struggles with depressions.
Thanks for taking the time to read and I hope it will help you somehow. If you need to talk to someone, you can reach me with any of my social media links. Feel free to message me or leave a comment and I will be glad to connect with you. Be blessed.